TEQUESTA, Fla. — Firefighters say a daughter’s efforts to save her mother from a burning house were heroic.
"My mom was calling my name and I had to try everything I could to get her out,” said Angelica Lunn.
The fire started around 2:30 a.m. Friday along Country Club Drive in Tequesta. "I woke up and I saw a big ball of fire in the living room," Lunn recalled.
"The garage door was locked and the gate was locked so I ripped the fence apart and crawled through it," she said.
Lunn said she and a caretaker for her mother did escape the home, but her 80-year-old mother was in a hospital bed unable to move. “I went to her bedroom and smashed the window out and I took the hose and held it on her until they came,” Lunn said.
Firefighters were able to rescue the woman, who is now at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami.
Tequesta Fire Chief James Trube says it appears the cause of the fire is electrical. The home has extensive damage including a collapsed roof.