NewsPalm Beach CountyRegion C Palm Beach CountyWest Palm Beach


Man who fatally shot ex-girlfriend during FaceTime call dies from self-inflicted gunshot wound

Keisean Woodrow Shaw, 19, died hours after killing Kelvi McCray, 18, police say
Shooting near Gaines Park in West Palm Beach.jpg
Posted at 1:36 PM, Mar 07, 2024
and last updated 2024-03-07 23:17:11-05

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — A man who shot and killed his ex-girlfriend Wednesday night while she was on a FaceTime call with three other people has died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, West Palm Beach police said.

The shooting happened Wednesday night at about 9:45 p.m. inside a home in the 1400 block of 13th Street near North Australian Avenue. According to a police report, the victim's mother notified police of the shooting.

"Her boyfriend came in and shot her, my baby dead," the victim's mother said in a 911 call.

A neighbor also called the police.

"And we heard the gunshots in the house. So, the son ran and when I ran to the house, I couldn't get in," the neighbor told a 911 dispatcher. "The mother let me in and, by that time, she's on the floor."

When West Palm Beach police arrived at the home, they found Kelvi McCray, 18, with numerous gunshot wounds to her head, back and neck, the police report said.

The 19-year-old shooter, identified in the police report, is Keisean Shaw. Police found him leaning against a wall in the living room with a gunshot wound to his head.

West Palm Beach Police Public Information Officer Mike Jachles 03072024.jpg
West Palm Beach Police Public Information Officer Mike Jachles explains what led up to murder-suicide.

According to the police report, McCray was Shaw's ex-girlfriend. Family and friends told police Shaw was not taking the break up very well but he was still living in the home.

"The victim was sitting eating dinner and FaceTiming with three friends, when Shaw came in and shot her," West Palm Beach spokesman Mike Jachles said. "One of the three on FaceTime was actually a witness for us that provided that quick identification."

Rescue crews took McCray and Shaw to St. Mary's Medical Center, where McCray died.

Shaw died less than 24 hours later Thursday afternoon.

Police said before the shooting, officers were looking for Shaw. They said he threatened McCray at gunpoint Tuesday.

"We knew what kind of car he was in; we knew who we were looking for, but he just alluded us and tragically returned," Jachles said.

Jachles said officers pursued Shaw for 5 miles Tuesday but eventually broke off the chase.

Friends and family have posted tributes online to McCray. She played basketball and track, cheered at Inlet Grove High School and modeled for photos and videos online.