Lakeland girl, 7, dies from possible carbon monoxide poisoning from generator


A seven-year-old girl from Lakeland has died from possible carbon monoxide poisoning from a generator.

According to the Polk County Sheriff's Office, the generator was being run inside the living room of a home located at 5124 Dossey Rd. South.

Shashunda Wilson, 41, said she woke up Wednesday morning and was feeling dizzy. She also noticed her daughter appeared dead.

MORE | Improper use of a generator kills dog, critically injures another dog

Wilson was transported to Lakeland Regional Medical Center for symptoms of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning.

Crews opened the windows to the home and found Terryn Wilson, 7, dead in a bed after it was safe to enter the home.

A neighboring duplex had dangerous levels of carbon monoxide, as well.

No one else was affected.

"This is the first death our agency has worked related to Hurricane Irma. It's a tragedy when anyone dies, but when a child dies, it's a horrific tragedy. Please, please follow safety instructions that we have stressed over and over so no other tragedies such as this one occur," said Sheriff Grady Judd.

Print this article Back to Top