Fiona has strengthened into a Category 1 hurricane and is expected to strengthen into a Category 2 hurricane next week, but forecast models continue to keep the system well east of Florida.
According to Sunday's 5 p.m. update from the National Hurricane Center, Hurricane Fiona has maximum sustained winds of 85 mph and is located 10 miles west of Mayaguez, Puerto Rico, moving northwest at 9 mph.
Catastrophic flooding is occurring across Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic.
A Hurricane Warning is in effect for:
- Puerto Rico, including Vieques and Culebra
- The coast of the Dominican Republic from Cabo Caucedo to Cabo Frances Viejo
A Hurricane Watch is in effect for:
- North coast of the Dominican Republic from Cabo Engano westward to Puerto Plata
A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for:
- U.S. Virgin Islands
- British Virgin Islands
- North coast of the Dominican Republic from Cabo Frances Viejo westward to Puerto Plata
- Turks and Caicos
- Southeastern Bahamas, including the Acklins, Crooked Island, Long Cay, the Inaguas, Mayaguana, and the Ragged Islands
A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect for:
- South coast of the Dominican Republic west of Cabo Caucedo to Barahona
Tropical storm conditions are expected to reach portions of the Dominican Republic Sunday night. Tropical storm conditions are expected in the Turks and Caicos Islands and portions of the southeastern Bahamas by early Tuesday. Tropical storm conditions are possible across the watch area in the Dominican Republic Sunday night.
"If Fiona stays on the current forecast track, impacts to Florida will be very minimal; mainly a northeast ocean swell arriving by midweek. In fact - we will likely see some drier, less humid air toward the end of the week as Fiona pulls moisture away from us," said Kate Wentzel, WPTV First Alert Meteorologist.
The latest forecast track has the storm strengthening into a Category 2 hurricane on Tuesday and Category 3 on Wednesday — with maximum sustained winds of 115 mph as it approaches Bermuda.
Fiona is the third hurricane of the season.