ST. LUCIE COUNTY, Fla. -- A man on the Treasure Coast who was about to head north for the summer had a very close call Tuesday morning.
Bob Heritage had just started up an RV at his sister’s home along Indian River Drive in St. Lucie County.
He went to put some tools away, and when he came back the recreational vehicle was smoking.
Heritage managed to get away from the vehicle before the propane tank exploded.
“It didn’t take 10-15 minutes to do what it did here. All plastic, fiberglass and wood interior and carpeting.. so I guess it just went woof," Heritage said.
Some trees behind the RV caught fire but St. Lucie County District firefighters kept it contained to the vehicle.
Heritage said he just put in a new battery, so he’s not sure why the fire happened, he’s just thankful he didn’t stay behind the steering wheel.
— Jon Shainman (@JonShainman) May 2, 2017