Nico Gallo: Martin County suspect in violent, drug-fueled burglary says he's 'dearly sorry'

19-year-old charged with burglary, assault
Posted at 11:57 AM, Aug 30, 2016
and last updated 2016-08-31 19:00:36-04

19-year-old man suspected in a violent, drug-induced burglary over the weekend was released from the hospital Tuesday and charged with burglary and assault. 

In his first court appearance, a judge granted Gallo a $300,000 bond. 

His lawyer asked a Martin County judge to allow him to be placed under house arrest.

"This is a heart-breaking situation," said Joshua Deckard, Gallo's attorney, who believes his client never meant to hurt anyone when he took drugs then crashed through a window and attacked a family.

We have a 19-year-old impulsive young man who made a poor decision to ingest some substance he was unfamiliar with," said Deckard.

We spoke with Gallo's stepmom, Connie Gallow, via Facebook video chat from her home in Clearwater. "I just feel horrible that my son could get in a rage like that over something that's just totally not him," said Connie.

Connie says Gallo is a good kid, who never got into trouble until now.

"I'm very shocked," said Connie. "Nico has never been a problem child, never came home drunk ,never came home late," she said.

She says her husband talked to Gallo after the Sunday morning attack.
"He said he took this, he just didn't see himself, that he didn't remember a whole lot," said Connie. "That he was sorry."
Gallo's co-workers, who worked with him at a seafood market in Clearwater say they're shocked by what happened. They describe Gallo as a good kid, who's loving and always helpful.
"He took responsibility like an adult he never had a problem saying I did this, I Did it I'm sorry can you help me fix it," said Monique Dever, by phone. "He was just an incredible kid."
Co-worker Jessica Palmer, said, "He has such a good heart, he's the kind of kid I would adore to have for a son,"

RELATED: Suspect's family releases statement

Investigators said the suspect, Nico Gallo, was high on Dibutylone, a psychedelic drug, when he jumped through the front plate glass window of a home on SE Orchid Street early Sunday morning.

Gallo, who does not have a previous criminal history, is accused of attacking a woman and her adult son, who fought him off with an aluminum baseball bat.

When he was being walked into jail Tuesday, WPTV reporter Gabrielle Sarann asked Gallo if he had any regrets.

"I do have regrets. I regret ever taking the drugs that I was on. I regret breaking into that house, and I regret hurting those people," said Gallo.

"Is there anything you want to say to the victims?" asked Sarann. 

"I'm dearly sorry," said Gallo.  

Gallo was previously hospitalized in critical but stable condition after the attack.

"I think Gallo is at a total loss for what occurred," said Sheriff William Snyder.

Snyder says Gallo gave a full confession. "He remembers parts of what occurred that night, powerful hallucinations," said the Sheriff. "He remembers a force that he says he could not stop moving him forward. Really had he not been on those drugs he wouldn't have been breaking into that house at 2:40 in the morning."
Snyder also pointed out that this case exemplifies how dangerous synthetic drugs are.

Gallo's family is so sorry for the pain he caused another family.

"I feel horrible for the family," said Connie. "I want to also apologize to the family and let them know I have pain and understanding of what they went through."