NewsPalm Beach CountyRegion C Palm Beach CountyLake Worth Beach


Dog dies in house fire, family spared

Posted at 11:14 PM, Nov 16, 2017
and last updated 2017-11-17 04:13:52-05

A house fire in unincorporated Lake Worth killed a dog, but the family says it could have a been a lot worse.

“The fire alarm really saved me, man. If it wasn’t for that working, I don’t know what would have happened to me,” said Pedro DeJesus Jr. 

According to Palm Beach County Fire Rescue, the fire started at 4:27 p.m. The home is inside the Lago Palma Mobile Home Park off of Lake Worth Road on Lisa Lane. 

DeJesus Jr. said his wife was cooking steak and onions for dinner when she stepped away for a minute or two. That’s when the fire started.  He's, a diabetic, was asleep in his room when he heard the alarm. He rushed to put on his prosthetic leg and find their three dogs to escape with. 

“Ran real quick ... I couldn’t breathe. I just couldn’t breathe anymore. I got out. My little dog ... I couldn’t save her. I couldn’t save her, man. She didn’t want to come out. It’s the only thing now. My wife is in the hospital now and she’s blaming herself. I don’t know what else to do now,” DeJesus Jr. said.

His wife was hospitalized because of the anxiety 

“This is mine, she’s Kiara,” said Matthew DeJesus, their son. Kiara’s mom, Tazzy, didn’t make it out. 

Palm Beach County Fire Rescue told Matthew said their home never had a chance. 

“They said the house was literally only burning for 4 to 5 minutes but because it’s a trailer home, because it’s a tin can, it’ll go up. Just like that,” Matthew said. 

“The most important thing is the fire alarm, man. Always have ‘em ready. Make sure you change those batteries every year,” Pedro said. 

The Red Cross is helping the family out with a hotel and essential items in the interim.