NewsLocal NewsCoronavirus

Actions

Wellington councilman raises concern about jump in coronavirus cases

Village sees 210 new COVID-19 cases in week
Posted at 6:06 PM, Nov 30, 2020
and last updated 2020-11-30 18:10:00-05

WELLINGTON, Fla. — Gabriel's Cafe and Grille has been a staple in Wellington for the past 31 years, and it's no surprise that owner Gabriel Finochietti says 2020 has been the hardest.

"The biggest change is the older crowd that doesn't come out. They are the ones who don't come out because of health issues, or because they are afraid of catching something, so they don't go out," said Finochietti.

He said he's been open every day this year so far, except Thanksgiving, to help deal with the loss of business.

"I have to work every day to keep the business going," said Finochietti.

Gabriel Finochietti
Gabriel Finochietti, the owner of Gabriel's Cafe and Grille in Wellington, says he has had to work every day in an effort to keep his restaurant afloat.

Rising COVID-19 cases in Wellington is not something area business owners want to hear.

"In the week between Nov. 22 and yesterday, Nov. 29, we had 210 new cases in Wellington,” says Village Council member John McGovern.

He took to social media when he noticed that spike.

McGovern said that's a major increase from September when the state entered Phase Three, and Wellington was down to approximately 30 cases a week.

While the numbers are alarming, McGovern said it is not too late to make changes.

"We must wear masks. We must socially distance. We must not be outside as much as possible. We must hand sanitize,” said McGovern.

These are smart practices they hope will keep the community safe.