Lottery officials in South Carolina overnight said a single ticket won the record $1.537 billion Mega Millions jackpot in Tuesday night's drawing. This jackpot is just short of a record for all lotteries held in U.S. history.
Previous reports said the ticket would be worth $1.6 billion.
The name of the person who bought the ticket has not been revealed. South Carolina is one of only a few states that allows lottery winners to remain anonymous.
Three tickets sold in Florida won $1 million along with a Megaplier ticket worth $3 million.
The winning numbers in the largest lottery draw in U.S. history were 5, 28, 62, 65, and 70, with a Mega Ball of 5.
The jackpot has been growing since July, when a group of California office workers won $543 million.
The lucky player overcame miserable odds. The chance of matching all six numbers and winning the top prize is 1 in 302.5 million.
Mega Millions is played in 44 states as well as Washington, D.C., and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
It costs $2 to play the game, but the odds of matching all six numbers and taking home the grand prize is a dismal 1 in 302.5 million.
The next Mega Millions drawing is Friday with a jackpot worth $40 million.
A look at the 10 largest U.S. jackpots that have been won and the states where the winning tickets were sold:
1. $1.586 billion, Powerball, Jan. 13, 2016 (three tickets, from California, Florida, Tennessee)
2. $1.537 billion, Mega Millions, Oct. 23, 2018 (one ticket from South Carolina)
3. $758.7 million, Powerball, Aug. 23, 2017 (one ticket, from Massachusetts)
4. $656 million, Mega Millions, March 30, 2012 (three tickets, from Kansas, Illinois and Maryland)
5. $648 million, Mega Millions, Dec. 17, 2013 (two tickets, from California and Georgia)
6. $590.5 million, Powerball, May 18, 2013 (one ticket, from Florida)
7. $587.5 million, Powerball, Nov. 28, 2012 (two tickets, from Arizona and Missouri)
8. $564.1 million, Powerball, Feb. 11, 2015 (three tickets, from North Carolina, Puerto Rico and Texas)
9. $559.7 million, Powerball, Jan. 6, 2018 (one ticket, New Hampshire)
10. $543 million, Mega Millions, July 24, 2018 (one ticket, California)