VIDEO: Police rescue elderly couple after Pop-Tart sparks fire in their home

Posted at 1:35 PM, Dec 18, 2018
and last updated 2018-12-18 13:35:52-05

ELLISVILLE, Mo. — A broken Pop-Tart in a toaster was a recipe for disaster near St. Louis.

A woman called 911 when half a Pop-Tart, stuck in her toaster, quickly caught fire last week.

Body camera footage from an Ellisville, Missouri police officer shows the house filling with smoke, and the woman's husband, who uses a wheelchair, stuck in a bedroom.

Officers were able to get the man out uninjured.

Peggy Cruse said the fire started moments after the pastry broke.

"Thinking, how am I going to get that out of the toaster and before I knew it, flames shot out of that line of fruit that you could see," said Cruse.

There was extensive fire and smoke damage in the kitchen and other parts of the house.