NewsWorld

Actions

No USS Arizona survivors will attend Pearl Harbor remembrance ceremony

The few who survived are now in their 90s.
Posted: 6:00 AM, Dec 07, 2018
Updated: 2018-12-07 11:00:03Z

The ceremony to mark the 77th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor will be different from any other.

This year will mark the first that none of the survivors of the USS Arizona will be able to attend the ceremony.

The handful of who survived the battleship's bombing on December 7th, 1941 are all in their nineties.

Last year, just three of the five remaining members of the USS Arizona were able to attend the ceremony.

Health issues and doctors orders are preventing the last remaining survivors of the attack to attend the ceremony.

Some historians say their absence means we could start to lose a human connection with the attack on Pearl Harbor

"Once all these Pearl Harbor survivors are gone, and the people who knew them are gone, we're going to have lost this last living connection," said Michael Wenger with Pacific War History Associates.

Lou Conter, one of the survivors on the USS Arizona, says Americans should focus on the service members who lost their lives that day in 1941.