The US Coast Guard said Thursday evening that the search for the missing 23-year-old who fell off the Carnival Victory cruise ship has been suspended.
23-year-old Brandon Paul, of Floral City, reportedly went overboard from the eight deck of the cruise ship at approximately 3 a.m. Wednesday.
According to Coast Guard officials, the cruise ship launched a search boat and contacted the Coast Guard.
Assisting with the search were:
• A Coast Guard Air Station Miami HC-144 Ocean Sentry airplane crew
• A Coast Guard Air Station Clearwater HC-130 Hercules airplane crew
• The Coast Guard Cutter Charles Sexton crew
• Cuban search and rescue authorities
• Carnival Victory cruise ship
USCG released the following statement:
“Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of Brandon Paul,” said Chris Eddy, search and rescue mission coordinator, Seventh Coast Guard District Command Center. “Making the choice to suspend a search is never an easy decision and one the Coast Guard doesn’t take lightly, and despite our best efforts, we were unable to reunite Paul with his family.”