Girl who swallowed thumbtack still hospitalized

Posted at 7:39 PM, Dec 25, 2015
and last updated 2015-12-25 19:39:25-05

OCALA – Relatives say an Ocala girl who swallowed a thumbtack at her preschool remains hospitalized.

Aundreaa Thompson tells the Ocala Star-Banner that her 3-year-old cousin, Honesty Eads, is in critical condition at a Gainesville hospital.

Thompson says the family has gathered around Honesty’s hospital bed to pray for her recovery.

Police say Honesty swallowed a yellow thumbtack Monday at her Ocala preschool. According to police reports, another child alerted a teacher on the other side of the classroom that Honesty looked “like a vampire.”

The teacher found Honesty gasping for air and bleeding from her mouth. Emergency room doctors initially couldn’t insert a breathing tube down Honesty’s throat because of the thumbtack.

Police and the Department of Children and Families are investigating.

Information from: Ocala (Fla.) Star-Banner,