LAKE CITY, Fla.-- A Florida waitress is being hailed as a hero for saving the life of a choking toddler.
It happened last Friday as Shayla Sullivan worked her normal shift at Sonny's BBQ restaurant in Lake City.
While tending to the drive-thru window she heard screams from across the restaurant and ran to help.
That's when she saw people trying to help 1-year-old Rhythm Green who was choking on a French fry.
Unfortunately, no one knew how to help a choking baby.
Sullivan jumped into action, turning the toddler over and giving him back blows to dislodge the food.
Every one of Shayla's blows brought Rhythm closer to life as she could see the French fry make its way out.
Rhythm was tired and limp when the ambulance arrived but alive. The little boy's mom Carissa Green says she is grateful for Sullivan's quick action. "As as he started suctioning little breaths I was like: 'Oh my gosh.' I mean I was still frantic but he was alive. I have never felt so relieved and grateful to a human being in my entire life that my child was alive."
"When he started crying like I said it was the best sound I have ever heard. I was like, I love this baby crying right now. Thank God," Sullivan said.
"And now we have a new lifelong friend too," Green said. "Yes.... Yes.... I'm so happy," Sullivan added.