MULBERRY, Fla. — Polk County Fire Rescue responded to Mulberry Middle School Thursday after seven students suddenly became sick after they reportedly consumed THC-laced gummy bears.
Five of the ill students were taken to the hospital and the other two were picked up by their parents.
A spokesperson with Polk County Schools said the students consumed gummy bears that contained THC.
The Polk County Sheriff says the students had a negative reaction to the THC-laced gummy bears they ingested. The Sheriff's Office is investigating how the students got the candy in the first place.
"We have long been concerned about the dangers of marijuana-infused candy, and that it would get into the hands of, and poison, children. Here's an example of that." - Grady Judd, Sheriff
Polk County Public Schools sent the following message to parents on Thursday:
This message is being sent on behalf of Mulberry Middle School. We are cooperating with the Polk County Sheriff’s Office on an incident that occurred at school today. At this point, it is our understanding a student brought candy to school that contains THC, the chemical found in marijuana. The candy was consumed by other students, five of whom have been taken to the hospital for examination. We will continue to cooperate with the Sheriff’s Office during this ongoing investigation. Thank you."