NewsState

Actions

Florida couple credits cat with saving their lives

wptv-bella-cat-.jpg
Posted at 1:50 PM, Mar 05, 2019

DELTONA, Fla.-- A Florida couple credits their cat with saving them from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Paul and Leona Jones went out for an early dinner Wednesday evening and came home in the middle of a rainstorm.

They said they just wanted to get into the garage, close the door and get into their Deltona home.

The Jones's vehicle has a push button ignition and, in their rush to get inside, Leona Jones forgot to push it off. She said that mistake almost cost them their lives.

"Paul was close to death. I wasn't quite as bad, but he was close to death," Leona said.

Leona Jones said she was asleep on the couch while her husband was in the bedroom.

Around 1 a.m., the couple's SUV had been running in the garage for around eight hours. Paul said it was their cat crying that roused them.

"If she hadn't cried and hadn't woken him up, we would have never known and we would have slept though it," Leona said.

The couple said they're both still having residual confusion and some muscle weakness. Doctors said that's to be expected.

Read more: http://bit.ly/2SKEL4F