News

Actions

Deerfield Beach student's cellphone battery ignites, classrooms evacuated

Posted at 3:50 PM, Apr 04, 2017
and last updated 2019-03-25 20:03:52-04

(NBC 6, NBC NEWSCHANNEL) A student suffered minor burns after his cellphone battery ignited during class at a Florida elementary school Tuesday morning.

Broward Sheriff's Office Fire Rescue workers responded to Deerfield Park Elementary School around 10:30.

Officials say the student was in class and heard beeping from his cellphone so he took the battery out and dropped the battery. 

The student put the battery in his pocket where it got hot. He took the battery out of his pocket and threw it on the floor where it burst into flames and melted.

The phone was a Coolpad 3622A, according to theSun Sentinel.

The child suffered minor burns and went home with his parents. Classrooms were temporarily evacuated because of smoke, but students were quickly allowed back in class. 

Officials said the student was treated at the scene.