NewsState

Actions

Court hearing might answer questions about accused Parkland school shooter's finances

Posted: 9:26 AM, Mar 01, 2018
Updated: 2018-03-01 15:56:51Z

A hearing scheduled for Thursday morning that may have shed further light on the financial status of the accused Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooter has been canceled.

The hearing scheduled for Thursday morning in Broward County probate court was canceled at an attorney's request. Nineteen-year-old Nikolas Cruz could face the death penalty if convicted of 17 counts of murder in the Feb. 14 shooting.

FULL COVERAGE: Parkland school shooting

A member of the family that took in Cruz after his adopted mother Lynda died last November is asking to be added as beneficiaries to her estate.

Roxanne Deschamps is also asking that Cruz’s younger brother, Zachary, be added as well.

A member of the family that took in Nikolas Cruz after his adopted mother Lynda died last November is asking to be added as beneficiaries to her estate.

Roxanne Deschamps is also asking that Cruz’s younger brother, Zachary, be added as well.

Cruz, the 19-year-old charged with killing 17 people and injuring over a dozen more on Feb. 14, is not expected to be in the courtroom as he had previously waived his right to appear at future hearings.

The question of Nikolas Cruz’s financial state came up shortly after his first court appearance, with officials wondering if he had the financial means to hire his own attorneys instead of using a public defender.

An attorney for the family that Cruz was living with told the Miami Herald that Cruz told them about an $800,000 inheritance from his mother that he was supposed to receive when he turned 22.

Story from our news partner NBC 6

Information from the Associated Press was used in this report