Actions

Carbon monoxide from wood burning stove sickens 10 in Broward County

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WPTV.png
Posted at 1:03 PM, Oct 26, 2017
and last updated 2017-10-26 13:03:04-04

LAUDERDALE LAKES, Fla. (AP) -- Sheriff's officials in Broward County suspect seven children and three adults were sickened by carbon monoxide when they improperly used a wood burning stove in their apartment.

Rescue crews treated the family after being called to the apartment complex near Fort Lauderdale on Thursday morning.

In a news release, Broward Sheriff's Battalion Chief Michael Kane said the patients were vomiting and complaining of headaches.

All 10 patients were in critical condition when they were taken to a hospital.

A hazardous materials team ventilated the apartment and checked all nearby residences.

Kane says the family was using the wood burning stove as a makeshift heating device as temperatures dipped to the upper 50s in the area early Thursday.

The state fire marshal's office is investigating.

Tokyo Olympics Medal Count as of morning of July 24, 2021