A car fire spread to a home in Port St. Lucie Monday morning.
The fire began in a parked car in a driveway in the 1900 block of SW Davis Street and spread to the garage, according to police.
Some nearby houses were evacuated as a precaution.
Car owner Patricia Hogle says she had just come home from dropping her granddaughter off at school and was going back outside to get a phone charger. “I went out around the corner. I said, ‘oh my God there’s smoke.’ I called 9-1-1 and watched it go, there was nothing else I could do.”
A dog used by the St. Lucie County Fire District did not detect accelerants and the fire was determined to be an accident, according to police.
Due to extensive damage and smoke, the residence is currently uninhabitable, police said.
There were no injuries.
The Red Cross is assisting the victims.