Barricaded man taken into custody

Posted at 10:52 AM, May 11, 2016
and last updated 2016-05-11 18:24:54-04

UPDATE: NewsChannel 5's Gabrielle Sarann reports the suspect is being taken into custody.

After the standoff ended, Johnson's aunt spoke out in his defense.

"Nobody knows his life or his struggles," said Sandra Jones."Everyone has a breaking point, where they do some things they're not proud of. He's human like the rest of us. We can't judge him."

Johnson will face a judge tomorrow morning.


The St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office is trying to negotiate with a man who has barricaded himself at 33rd Street and Louisiana Avenue in Fort Pierce.

The sheriff's office says just before 10 a.m. deputies and the U.S. Marshals Service tried to serve 28-year-old Michael Deshawn Johnson a warrant on several charges but he shut the door and refused to come out.

"The other info we received, which was most disturbing, was he didn't want to go back to prison and was going to die doing so," said Sheriff Ken Mascara.

Investigators say the warrant was for charges related to possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, possession of cocaine, possession of marijuana and resisting without violence.

They say Johnson also previously served prison time for 2nd degree murder and robbery with a firearm.

"When you take his background, his possibly mental state saying he's not going back, we were very concerned," explained Sheriff Mascara.

Deputies say he is in an apartment by himself and they are trying to talk him into surrendering.

They say there is a good possibility he is armed but they can't say for sure.

As a precaution the building he is in and nearby street have been closed.

"It disturbs me because I have a lot of family, there's small children here," said Patricia Gambell, the property manager of Maxi Apartments, where the standoff took place.

VID: Investigator interviewing suspect's brother. Says he hasn't heard from him in a few days @WPTV

— Gabrielle Sarann (@GabrielleSarann) May 11, 2016