News

Actions

Cigarette starts fire, critically injures man in St. Lucie County

Posted at 11:29 AM, Mar 13, 2017
and last updated 2017-03-13 18:46:01-04

A fire caused by a cigarette critically injured a person Sunday near Port St. Lucie, according to the St. Lucie County Fire District.

The fire happened at a residence at 11 Kachina Lane just after four p.m.

Neighbors saw the home fill with smoke, and two men went in to pull the homeowner to safety.

"Got the door opened up and we were standing in doorway and I happened to get down near floor and looked across the smoke line and it looked like a body was laying out here,” said neighbor Hank Hoffman.

Arriving first responders said they found a patio couch on fire as well as the unresponsive male patient.

He was taken to a trauma center for treatment.

His identity was not released.

Tokyo Olympics Medal Count as of early morning July 28, 2021