Man arrested after threatening officers

Posted at 1:46 PM, Sep 16, 2015
and last updated 2015-09-16 13:46:09-04

DELRAY BEACH, Fla. -- A man was arrested in Delray Beach last week after threatening uniformed police officers and using a racial slur.

On Friday, September 11, officers were dispatched to a store at 207 SE 2nd Avenue in Delray Beach in response to a man calling 911 requested to be checked out by the fire department.

Officers found Michael Crawford at the scene, who they say appeared to be under the influence of an unknown substance.

Police say Crawford was uncooperative and began to curse at the officers.

Delray Beach Fire Rescue crews also responded to the scene to medically evaluate him, but police say he was belligerent and began to curse at Fire Rescue crews.

Once Fire Rescue crews determined that Crawford didn't need their assistance, they left the scene.

An officer met with the manager of the store, whom requested that Crawford leave the property. The manager informed Crawford that he is no longer welcome and requested him to leave.

Crawford left the property but returned after a short time.

One of the officers informed him several times that he would be arrested for "Trespass After Warning", and police say Crawford responded several times with the statement, "What are you going to do about it (racial slur)?"

Officers then placed Crawford under arrest. While being handcuffed, officers say he tensed his arm and his body, and the officers were involved in a brief struggle to gain control of both arms and handcuff him behind his back.

Police say once Crawford was in the back seat of a police patrol car, he became uncooperative and began to spit in the rear compartment of the vehicle.

Officers placed Crawford in a spit mask and hobble restraints and transported him to the Palm Beach County Jail.

While traveling to the jail, police say Crawford stated, "When I get out in 60 or 90 days, I'm coming for you", "you're a dead man", and "I hope the next cop that gets killed is you."

Crawford was charged with one count of Trespass After Warning, one count of Resisting Arrest without Violence, and one count of Corruption by Threat against a Public Official.

Tokyo Olympics Medal Count as of morning of July 24, 2021