Couple displaced after chimney catches fire in Delray Beach

Posted at 7:43 PM, Mar 04, 2017
and last updated 2017-03-05 08:15:31-05

A massive fire destroyed a couple's home in Delray Beach Saturday night. Fire rescue officials say the fire originated from  the couple's chimney.

Harold and Anna Dambra, the couple that owns the home, got out in time, without any injuries. They say they were using their fireplace.

"We were burning some papers that my wife wanted to get rid of," Harold said.

The couple said they didn't even notice the fire at first, because the flames broke out in the attic.

"One of the golfers came running in our back door and said 'your house is on fire,'" Harold said. "My wife got my wallet and the keys to the my car and I got my car in the garage so we'll go from there."

Fire crews said it took longer than they wanted to get the fire out. The roof quickly collapsed and the flames grew so large that the fire became difficult to get under control.

"We had some challenges with our water supply, you know, just not having enough water for the amount of fire that there was so that was a bit of a challenge," said Captain Kevin Saxton of Delray Beach Fire Rescue.

It was a scene all too familiar for Harold.

"I'm a retired deputy fire chief, so I've been on the other end of this many times, but the first time on this end," he said.

Dambra said he learned firsthand what he'd told other for years—that it's only a house and they're only things inside.