A controversial Satanic display may be back this holiday season in Boca Raton.
The Boca Raton City Council decided to take no action Tuesday night on a proposed ordinance that would ban all public religious displays at Sanborn Square.
Last year, a 10-foot pentagram stood alongside a menorah, Christmas tree and nativity scene.
Some found the symbol so offensive that people vandalized it in hopes of bringing it down.
The ordinance was initially proposed to ensure the safety and cleanliness of the park. In 2016, the pentagram prompted vandals to strike at least four times.
On Tuesday night, people overwhelmingly opposed the ban.
“I don’t think we should allow a Satanist to discriminate against our religious displays. I find it very offensive,“ resident Therese Brady said.
Laurie Colbert made note of the long-standing tradition.
“We’ve been going for almost 30 years being able to do these displays,” said Colbert. “Citing public safety, I think in this instance it is unfounded and flimsy at best,” another resident said. “This not an HOA, this is a city council meeting.”
Mayor Susan Haynie agreed with people saying, “We won’t be bullied. This is our city. That is our park. These are our holidays. Let’s stand up for what’s right.”