Neighbor saves couple in Jupiter house fire

Posted at 9:39 AM, Sep 17, 2016

JUPITER, Fla. -- Firefighters extinguished a house fire in Jupiter Saturday morning.

Palm Beach County Fire Rescue crews responded to the 17000 block of Lincoln Lane in Jupiter at 6:39 a.m.

First arriving crews reported heavy smoke from the eaves of the home. Firefighters located fire in the attic and got the blaze under control and extinguished by 7:30 a.m.

An elderly couple, 83-year-old Laureta and 94-year-old Jasper Gordon, were displaced by the fire.

Next door neighbor Antonio Thompson had just returned from work when he rushed next door.

"The first thing I thought was I have to get over there," said Thompson.

The Gordons were sleeping in their bedroom.

"The Lord blessed him to knock on the door," said Laureta.

Thompson added, "When I slid the door heavy smoke came out," he said. "At that point, I entered the house. I hollered for them."

Firefighters credit Thompson with calling 911 and jumping into action by waking the couple up and helping them get out of the home.

"I feel good that I did something good today," said Thompson. "I saved a couple's lives."

The American Red Cross is offering assistance to the couple.