News

Actions

Family: Space heater caused WPB duplex fire

Posted at 6:44 AM, Jan 24, 2016
and last updated 2016-01-24 18:30:04-05

Four people are forced out of their homes and out into the cold after a fire breaks out in West Palm Beach.

Firefighters say the duplex on Walton Boulevard went up in flames around 2:30 Sunday morning.

West Palm Beach Fire Rescue says the front of the unit was fully engulfed when they arrived. Alexandra Guzman's mother was inside at the time, she says the family's pets woke them up.

Guzman says her mother was running a space heater and suspects it caused the fire.

Firefighters haven't confirmed that yet; they say the blaze is still under investigation.

Two families were displaced by the fire, the Red Cross is assisting them. None suffered any injuries. Guzman says the fire did claim one of their dog's lives.