Parents, grandparents, spouses and siblings of the 12 people killed in the Aurora movie theater shooting will have their chance to speak to the jury. For many, it is their first chance to testify.
Unlike all of the earlier parts of the trial, the testimony in Phase 3 is allowed to be emotional. Each of the witnesses will be asked about the emotional and personal impact that the loss of their loved ones had on their lives, and each will be asked to explain photos and video evidence of the deceased.
The prosecution has indicated they plan to call about 15 people. Objections entered into court records Monday provided a preview of people expected to testify. It's not clear whether there will be others, but the list includes:
- Chantel Blunk, estranged wife of Jonathan Blunk
- Mary Theresa Hoover, mother of AJ Boik
- Norah Wilwert, sister Jesse Childress
- Lisa Childress, mother of Jesse Childress
- Sandy Phillips, mother of Jessica Ghawi
- Kathleen Larimer, mother of John Larimer
- Jeri Jackson, mother of Matthew McQuinn
- Amanda Medek, sister of Micayla Medek
- Gregory Medek, father of Micayla Medek
- Tom Sullivan, father of Alex Sullivan
- Robert Sullivan, grandfather of Veronica Moser-Sullivan
- Ashley Moser, mother of Veronica Moser Sullivan and a survivor who was paralyzed in the shooting
- Caren Teves, mother of Alex Teves
- Shirley Wygal, mother of Rebecca Wingo
- Robert Wingo, ex-husband of Rebecca Wingo
Notably, that list does not include any relations of Gordon Cowden. His daughter Brooke testified earlier in the case, because she survived being injured in the shooting.