NewsNational

Actions

Texas man, dog die locked in Chevy Corvette

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WPTV.png
Posted at 10:24 AM, Jun 11, 2015
and last updated 2015-06-11 10:27:45-04

A 72-year-old Texas man and his dog died Monday after becoming trapped in a Chevrolet Corvette.

James Rogers and his dog, Leia, likely died of heat exhaustion, KHOU reports.

The two were trapped in the parking lot of a Port Arthur, Texas Waffle House Restaurant after Rogers' 2007 Corvette’s electrical power failed. Without power, the only way out was to manually open the door lock — which was by the floorboard.

Rogers couldn’t find it. The loss of power also disabled the horn.

Rogers’ cell phone was left in the restaurant, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports. He had gone back to the car to check on his dog.

They were found dead hours later.

Gavin Stern is a national digital producer for the Scripps National Desk.