NewsNational

Actions

Some have died after eating this Japanese treat

Posted at 7:51 AM, Jan 02, 2015
and last updated 2015-01-02 15:41:34-05

A traditional New Year's delicacy called "mochi" is leading to choking deaths in Japan.

In the past two days, at least four people have died and another 10 hospitalized because of eating the treat, according to Quartz.

Nine of those hospitalized are older than 65, according to Japan Today.

Health authorities in Japan issue warnings about eating mochi, made from pounding glutinous rice into a sticky paste. Most of those choking and dying after eating it are elderly.

A report in 2010 declared mochi as the No. 1 food in Japan that led to choking incidents, according to Quartz.