SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (AP) — The latest on the mass shooting in San Bernardino, California (all times local):
Saudi Interior Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Mansour Al-Turki tells AP that authorities there have received no indication Tashfeen Malik was radicalized in Saudi Arabia.
Al-Turki said Saudi records show she was not a resident of Saudi Arabia and had been to the kingdom only twice in her life. On both trips, she came to visit her family, once in 2008 for several weeks and the second time in 2013 for four months.
Malik and her American-born husband were killed Wednesday in a shootout with police hours after the couple opened fire on a gathering of Syed Rizwan Farook's colleagues from the San Bernardino County public health department. Fourteen people were killed, dozens were injured.
The Saudi Interior Ministry confirmed Sunday to AP that Malik's father — Gulzar Ahmed Malik — has been a resident in the kingdom since the early 1980s. However, Saudi laws do not permit authorities to release further details about him since he is not a suspect.
Al-Turki says millions of foreigners work and live in Saudi Arabia, with many enrolling their children in schools in the kingdom. He said he has not heard of any cases of them being radicalized