(KAKE, CNN NEWSOURCE) A Kansas toddler is in serious condition after choking on a baby octopus. The mother's boyfriend was home alone with him at the time.
Police tell us the 2-year- old-boy's mother came home from work to find her boyfriend giving the child CPR and the child wasn't breathing.
Emergency crews rushed the boy to a local hospital and found he had a two inch octopus lodged in his throat and injuries to his face.
36-year-old Matthew Gallagher was arrested on suspicion of child abuse.
Neighbors say they saw the police at the home last night, and are stunned to hear of the allegations.
"I teach a lot of swim lessons with a lot of kids, shocking how someone could do that to kid it's just strange the situation," neighbor Mitchell Wagner said.
Records show Gallagher was booked into jail but has since been released from custody.
Officials haven't released any further details on his case.
**** EDITOR'S NOTE*** Octopus shown in the video is not the octopus that the child swallowed. The octopus shown was purchased by TV station KAKE at a grocery store.