E-cig explodes in Hawaiian man's mouth, knocks out man's teeth

A Hawaiian man is in need of dental work after having a electronic cigarette explode in his mouth on Sunday while he was taking a puff, KGMB-TV reported

According to KGMB, the explosion caused 25-year-old Matt Yamashita to lose four teeth. He also needed 40 stitches. 

"As soon as I took that first rip, it just blew up in my face," Yamashita told KGMB. "My right hand was burning, it was black," said Yamashita. "I just heard loud ringing in both my ears and I just saw a flash then I was spitting out blood and I was just in shock."

Yamashita said he switched from smoking tobacco to electronic cigarettes five years ago. Yamashita said that he bought the e-cigarette involved in Sunday's incident roughly six months ago.

At the beginning of 2017, the FDA said it was probing the cause of electronic cigarettes. 

Ecigone.com has compiled a list of incidents with electronic cigarettes. According to the website, there have been 243 incidents of e-cigs exploding. Of those incidents, there have been 63 cases of electronic cigarettes exploding during use. 

The FDA has compiled safety tips to minimize the risk of such incidents.

Print this article Back to Top