<p>In this March 15, 2016 photo provided by the Santa Fe Animal Shelter, Dr. Rick Snook, a veterinarian with the Santa Fe Animal Shelter & Humane Society, gives Honey, a Dogue de Bordeaux, a hug after examining her at the shelter's Thaw Animal Hospital. The dog swallowed a 6-inch stuffed toy that was lodged in her intestine and was successfully removed following surgery on Monday.(Ben Swan/The Santa Fe Animal Shelter via AP))</p>
SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — A veterinarian helped save the life of an ailing New Mexico dog after discovering the source of the pup's pain — a 6-inch long, 2-inch wide stuffed polar bear.
Santa Fe Animal Humane officials told KRQE-TV in Albuquerque (http://goo.gl/oPZdgH) that the bear was discovered in the dog's stomach during surgery.
A veterinarian said the dog named "Honey" had been sick for about a week and would have likely died within two days.
The dog is now expected to survive.
Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.