When the jury weighs questions of the movie theater gunman's guilt and mental health, they'll also have the powerful memories of emotional moments presented throughout the case.
Prosecutors, in particular, presented dramatic testimony from emotional witnesses and first responders. Here are seven of the most dramatic moments from the case:
1. Caleb Medley, who was gravely injured, was one of the first witnesses to testify in the case. Because of his wounds, he was limited severely in his ability to answer.
2. Det. Matthew Ingui describes the interior of Theater 9 as "the kind of thing that nightmares are made of."
3. Amanda Teves testifies she didn't want to leave Alex behind. He was one of the 12 people killed in the shooting on July 20, 2012.
4. Gunfire and screams heard on a 911 call made during the shooting
5. EMT testifies that he prayed over his friend, Jessica Ghawi, during the theater shooting. She was one of the 12 people killed in the shooting.
6. Survivor Petra Hogan tearfully describes what happened to her inside the theater.
7. Ashley Moser testifies about the shooting that paralyzed her, killed her unborn child and killed her 6-year-old daughter.
The defense, on the other hand, presented a case that was more focused on experts, like doctors who saw the gunman at various times after his incarceration.