PUGET SOUND-- A Washington woman attending a fishing derby on Friday made an unfortunate choice and it involved an octopus.
Jamie Bisceglia, who has been fishing since age six and now owns a company that encourages women to fish, noticed that someone had caught a young octopus.
She asked if she could have it, saying she's like to cook it up for dinner. But first, she decided it would make a great photo opportunity for the Derby's Derby's photo contest.
So she put it on her face and struck several poses, unaware that the sea creatures have sharp beaks that inject venom into their prey.
Bisceglia soon learned this nature lesson when the young octopus sunk its beak into her chin and the whole incident was captured on camera by friends.
Bisceglia didn't go to the hospital for a few days, until her throat swelled and one side of her face became paralyzed. She's currently on three antibiotics and is still experiencing facial swelling.
Her advice to others? Don't put an octopus on your face.