News

Actions

New penis recipient wants to be 'complete man'

Posted at 4:09 PM, May 18, 2016
and last updated 2016-05-18 16:09:35-04

BOSTON (AP) -- The recipient of the first U.S. penis transplant says he is looking forward to walking out of the hospital a "complete" man.

Thomas Manning was upbeat Wednesday as he continued to recover from the 15-hour operation, which took place last week at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.

The 64-year-old Halifax, Massachusetts, man told The Associated Press that he doesn't feel any pain and that the swelling and discoloration of his new organ appear to be diminishing. Doctors had hoped to release him sometime this week, but Manning says he will undergo a largely cosmetic procedure Monday.

Manning's penis was amputated in 2012 after he was diagnosed with penile cancer.

Doctors are optimistic he will be urinating normally again in a few weeks and will eventually regain the ability to function sexually. Manning says he is in no rush.