Florida officials confirmed Friday that a fifth mosquito sample was found with Zika in the same area of Miami Beach where four other samples previously tested positive for the virus, as the Florida Department of Health announced that they're expanding the area of local transmission.
The five samples are the only ones out of more than 3,200 to be tested throughout the state since May, the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services said.
Florida Gov. Rick Scott announced Friday night that the Department of Health was expanding the area of local transmission on Miami Beach from 8th Street to 63rd Street. It previously only went to 28th Street.
Five people, two men and three women, have experienced symptoms within a month of each other in the expanded area. All five are non-travel related.
RELATED: MORE ZIKA COVERAGE
"I think the Zika zone expansion shows that this virus can travel, it's being transmitted," Miami Beach Mayor Philip Levine said in a phone interview with NBC 6 Friday night.
Scott also announced that the "Zika Zone" in Wynwood is expected to be lifted on Monday.
"While we’ve learned that we’re expanding the impacted area in Miami Beach, the good news is that we expect to lift the zone in Wynwood on Monday because of our aggressive mosquito control measures, outreach to the community, education efforts and the vigilant actions of the residents and businesses in Wynwood," Gov. Scott said in a statement. "The expansion of the Miami Beach area where local transmission is occurring highlights the need for continued aggressive mosquito control measures and for Congress to immediately approve federal funding to combat Zika."
Meanwhile, the Florida Department of Health announced two new non-travel related Zika cases in Miami Beach Friday. The total non-travel related cases are now at 79, with another 660 travel-related cases.
Aerial spraying in Miami Beach is scheduled to continue Sunday morning.
Courtesy of our news partner at NBC Miami
WPTV webteam contributed to this story.