The Food and Drug Administration has issued a warning to consumers.
The agency is urging people not to drink a solution often promoted on-line as a remedy for autism, HIV, cancer and other conditions.
The products, known as Miracle or Master Mineral Solution, MMS, and chlorine dioxide protocol, are not approved by the FDA.
The FDA says ingesting the solution, when mixed, is the same as drinking bleach and it can have potentially life-threatening side effects.
The products were first promoted 20 years ago as a remedy for just about every ailment, by a former Scientologist.
After receiving numerous reports of consumers getting sick, the FDA warns you not to drink sodium chlorite products such as Miracle Mineral Solution. These products turn into bleach and can make you sick. https://t.co/SOMBKab4Vp— U.S. FDA (@US_FDA) August 12, 2019
This is not the first time that the FDA has issued such warnings about these products.
It recently received new reports of people experiencing severe vomiting, diarrhea, life-threatening low blood pressure and other symptoms after drinking these products.
Officials say poison control centers have managed more than 16,000 related cases over the last five years.