Our adventure at China Wok (4636 Forest Hill Blvd, West Palm Beach) takes us to the back door. It's wide open for visitors, and we're not talking about customers.
"It just blew wide open," a worker told us as she slammed the screen and main door shut.
Roaches found their way inside. More than 100. Some live. Some dead. An found live roaches in a garbage can of uncooked rice, in the microwave, and crawling on a cutting board.
The inspector came to the restaurant after a customer called to complain.
"I had Shrimp Lo Mein," Kamel Shawish said. "I don't eat mushrooms so when I was moving the mushrooms off the plate I noticed something black on the plate and when I looked i was like that's not a mushroom. And I flipped it over and saw legs and was like Ok. I flipped it over one more time and it was a distinct baby roach."
On Shawish's plate. He says it came from the Chinese food China Wok delivered. So he went back to the restaurant, plate in hand, along with his cell phone.
"That's what I found is a baby roach on my plate. Right there. See that," Shawish said.
"Ok," the worker said.
He got a refund and called the state.
"I could have definitely ate it. Yes that's nasty. What if someone got sick?" Shawish said.
To see what inspectors found in your favorite kitchen, search our database provided by our news partners at the TCPalm.com.