Today hundreds attended the 6th annual 'Marine Life Day' at The Gardens Mall .
It was a day that the Loggerhead Marlinelife Center (LMC) took over 'Center Court,' Santa Clause and The Easter Bunny's usual seasonal hang out, to teach people what they can do to make our Oceans cleaner and safer for Sea Turtles.
Jack Lighton, The President, and CEO of LMC says there are five things we can do to help our save our oceans for Sea Turtles and other marine life.
1) Always take a reusable water bottle with you. Sure the 24-packs of water bottles are super convenient, but think about how many you buy in a year and where they end up. Is it that much extra work to bring a bottle home with you to reuse? I'm going to make a concerted effort to change my habit.
2) Bring a reusable tote bag. You have a ton of these bags lying around the house anyway. Why not stash them in your car and bring them in with you when you shop. Some cities, like Austin, Texas, are not allowing stores to give out plastic bags.
3) Change your light bulbs to LED. Jack says the oceans absorb carbon dioxide. The less energy we use, the less CO2 we generate. This one seems easy enough!
4) Consider going meatless Mondays. Animals also produce CO2, by reducing your intake of meat by 1/7th you can help cut down on the creation of CO2.
5) Get a group together for a beach cleanup. There are several organized monthly events, The Friends of Jupiter Beach has a great one, but you can do this on your own.