News

Actions

Sugar-free gum sickens dog, owner warns others

Posted at 10:51 AM, Mar 02, 2016
and last updated 2016-03-02 10:51:16-05

(KPNX, NBC NEWSCHANNEL) Chances are, you've probably heard that chocolate is poisonous to dogs, but did you know that Xylitol, a common sweetener, can be even more dangerous?

Jeni Hargrove Connor's family found out the hard way this February when their 1-year-old lab wound up in the animal hospital fighting for her life.

Hargrove Connor said it all started when Dancer sneaked into her gym bag and ate an entire tub of Ice Breakers gum.

At first Hargrove Connor didn't think much of it, until about an hour later, when her husband noticed Dancer looked drunk. They called their vet who told them to immediately rush Dancer to the animal hospital.

Dancer made it through the seizure and animal hospital staff saved her. She had to spend two nights in the hospital, and her liver is still being monitored.

She is now spreading the story to warn other pet owners.

Read more: http://bit.ly/1UyC5EA

 

In just 72 hours Dancer's story has been viewed over 20k times! Countless people have come forth with stories and love,...

Posted by Jeni Hargrove Connor on Wednesday, February 24, 2016