If you decide not to evacuate or go to a shelter when a storm hits, make sure to set up a safe room in your home.
A safe room should be an interior room in your home:
* There should not be windows or outside doors.
* Make sure it is accessible.
Once you pick out your safe room, make sure to make it as comfortable as possible.
* Set up blankets and pillows.
* Make sure you have some basic food and water supplies.
* Toys and games for your kids.
* You can even pull in a mattress from your bedroom if your safe room is large enough.
* Be sure to have a battery-powered radio or television in your safe room to keep updated on the storm's progress.
Remember you do not need to be in your safe room throughout the entire storm. It is only necessary to stay in your safe room during the most intense period of the storm.
Choose your safe room now, before any storms hit.
Being in a safe room during the intense periods of a hurricane will help protect you and your family and if properly stocked, will keep you comfortable at the same time.