- 2 each – 8 ounce jars Piquillo Peppers
- 2 cups cooked sorghum or quinoa, rice, or couscous (see recipe below)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces Oyster Mushrooms or any mushroom; sliced thin
- 8 ounces Canned Tomatoes – preferably small cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 4 ounces goat cheese; crumbled
Pat dry the piquillo peppers and set aside. Preheat oven to 350F.
Warm a medium-sized sauté pan over medium heat, add the olive oil, onions, and garlic. Stir frequently until the onions are soft and translucent. Add in the mushrooms and continue to cook for 3 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft.
Add the canned tomato and bring to a simmer. Stir in the cooked grain or rice and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in herbs and season with salt and pepper.
Carefully, using a small spoon, stuff small amounts of the grain and mushroom mixture into the piquillo peppers and place in an oven-proof casserole dish. Bake at 350F for 10 minutes.
Remove from oven and top with crumbled goat cheese. Serve with a side salad or any great vegetable side!