News

Actions

Suspect arrested after boy killed in drive-by

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WPTV.png
Posted at 6:53 AM, Dec 28, 2015
and last updated 2015-12-29 12:43:31-05

Miami-Dade Police said Tuesday they have arrested the suspected getaway driver and the shooter has turned himself in after a drive-by shooting killed a 7-year-old boy in southwest Miami-Dade.

Police said Dravein Duke, known as "Pop," surrendered to Miami-Dade Police Tuesday morning. According to police, charges are still pending.

Meanwhile Maxwell Trewin, 18, was arrested after being identified as the getaway driver in the shooting that killed Amiere Castro.

The toddler was playing with toys inside the family room of a relative's home near Southwest 152nd Street and Jackson Street when police say Trewin drove a white Dodge Ram past the home while Duke opened fire, hitting Amiere in the head.

The truck was found on Monday near the scene of the shooting. Police say Trewin sustained a dog bite while being taken into custody and is being treated for his injuries.

Witnesses told NBC 6 that Duke had been at the house earlier Sunday and had gotten into an argument with one of the adults living inside. Police haven't confirmed that information.

Anyone with additional information is asked to call Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at 305-471-TIPS.

----------------

Courtesy of our new partner at NBC Miami