TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- Haus the hero dog has gone home.
The German Shepherd that took three rattlesnake bites when he stepped between the reptile and his 7-year-old owner went home from Blue Pearl Veterinary Hospital on Thursday.
The snake managed to inject Haus with so much venom that veterinarians had to give him a steady drip of antivenin instead of the more typical one or two doses. People across the nation and even the world donated $52,000 to help pay his medical bills.
Haus' family said they were still unsure of how much Haus' care would cost but said any leftover donations would go to animal charities.
Haus will receive the "Heroic Dog Award," from PETA, which will also be sending him a much-deserved doggie bag full of treats.