Broward County commissioners are meeting Tuesday morning to discuss details pertaining to the Parkland school shooting.
During the meeting, Coconut Creek police officer Michael Leonard was recognized for arresting the suspected gunman Nikolas Cruz.
Tuesday was declared "Officer Michael Leonard Appreciation Day" and also declared "Coconut Creek Police Appreciation Day."
"It's a little overwhelming to be called a hero ... each and everyone of our officers out there, firefighters, first responders, we're are all heroes," said Leonard.
Among the items on the agenda are a resolution to demolish and rebuild a portion of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School building where the shooting occurred.
Discussion is also expected regarding:
- Funding a memorial to honor the 17 lives lost in the Feb. 14 shooting
- Create a task force to evaluate all aspects of the shooting
- Provide an independent comprehensive after-action report based on that evaluation
- Ensure the task force includes representation from all relevant governmental entities and agencies
- Authorize the county administrator to take any and all actions necessary to procure any emergency services necessary to complete the task