Drivers in the Boca Raton area will see some major relief with the opening of the long-awaited Spanish River Boulevard interchange.
On Wednesday afternoon, the Florida Department of Transportation opened the southbound exit ramp of Interstate 95 and the I-95 northbound on-ramp from Spanish River Boulevard.
The interchange was built to relieve congestion at Glades and Yamato roads. The ramps will provide direct access to the Florida Atlantic University, Palm Beach State College and the Owl's football stadium.
The project started four years ago in 2014 at a cost of $69 million and included the construction of:
- 13 bridges between Spanish River Boulevard and Yamato Road
- Addition of auxiliary lanes on Yamato Road,
- Revetment & realignment of the El Rio Canal,
- Construction of two underpasses along the El Rio Trail
- Installation of sound walls along the east side of I-95 north of Yamato Road
A ribbon-cutting ceremony was held at 10 a.m.
Construction work will continue through March on the full project.