INDIANTOWN, Fla. — An Indiantown neighborhood was briefly evacuated Wednesday morning because of a gas leak, authorities said.
According to Martin County Fire Rescue, a two-inch commercial gas line was ruptured around 9 a.m. in the area of of Southwest Palm Beach Street and Southwest Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive.
Station 24 units and Haz-Mat 16 on are on scene of a gas leak from a ruptured line. The surrounding areas have been evacuated while the Haz-Mat team actively secures the gas leak. #hazmattech #hazmatteam #firefighters #protectandserve pic.twitter.com/SfUlnJTutf— Martin County Fire Rescue (@MartinCountyFR) July 6, 2022
"The surrounding areas have been evacuated," the agency tweeted.
A HAZMAT team responded to the scene and clamped the line, stopping the leak.
A spokesperson for Martin County Fire Rescue said a gas company arrived to make the necessary repairs, and the evacuation order was lifted before 10:30 a.m.
No one was injured. Officials said it's unclear how the line got ruptured. However, construction was taking place in the area.