PALM BEACH COUNTY, Fla. — A HAZMAT situation at a Palm Beach County mobile home park sent three deputies to the hospital on Tuesday morning, officials confirm.
The Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office said deputies responded to an attempted burglary at the Seminole Colony Mobile Home Park, located at 4311 Okeechobee Blvd. in suburban West Palm Beach, around 10 a.m.
As deputies cleared a mobile home, they were overcome with an irritant that caused their eyes and throat to burn. They were taken to the hospital. There's no word on their conditions.
Palm Beach County Fire Rescue said the home was being treated for mold using a chemical that contains formaldehyde.
"It's an unoccupied mobile home and what they were doing inside the home was treating mold in the home. They were using a product called Home Zone," said Palm Beach County Fire Rescue Capt. Albert Borroto. "It's a powerful formaldehyde, so that was the smell that overcame three deputies."
"The deputies walked in and they face was burning," said Sandra Stanko, whose family called police after noticing the front door to the mobile home was open. "They came over and used my water hose and washed their face. They had their shoes off. They washed their arms and their eyes were burning."
Fire Rescue officials said the area has been cleared, and there is no danger to the community.
The Department of Environmental Protection will come out to collect the chemical.
The Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office said they're trying to confirm with the homeowner if any items were stolen. PBSO believes the possible thief may have been overcome by the chemical as well.
🚨 Hazmat Incident 🚨 @PBCFR @WPBfire @PBCountySheriff inside the Seminole Colony MHP. HazMat Team has gone inside home & identified the chemical in question. Product has been isolated and scene is being turned over to #FLDEP pic.twitter.com/dhpiDoSapZ— PBC Fire Rescue (@PBCFR) May 28, 2019